This full time, exempt position will assist the Director of Safety in planning, developing, implementing and supervising all program elements of the organization’s safety program in order to maintain a safe, healthy and accident free work environment throughout the organization. The position will be based out of one of our four offices and will have an assigned work space at each of the other three offices; therefore, out of the area and overnight travel will be required. The individual in this position will be responsible for the following key duties:
- In conjunction with the Director of Safety, leads the continuation of and clearly articulates the company’s safety vision, objectives, strategies, policies and procedures in order to maintain a safety culture dedicated to behaviors which ensures best in class results.
- Provides proactive leadership and assumes responsibility of overseeing the organization’s best in class safety culture by (1) anticipating problems and providing solutions; (2) sharing knowledge with and providing training to all levels of management and senior leadership, area safety managers, field personnel and project teams; (3) through interactions with clients, subcontractors and inspectors and (4) creating an environment of learning, mentoring and empowerment in order to promote employee engagement.
- Manages hazard assessment activities by (1) conducting and/or supervising safety inspections and (2) analyzing inspection and incident data to identify opportunities to develop preventive and corrective practices.
- Assembles and presents safety training and seminars to internal and external parties, as identified.
- Leads and manages assigned safety team by developing a high performance, customer-oriented work team, through hiring, motivating, coaching, appraising, rewarding and disciplining as well as addressing complaints and resolving issues related to assigned personnel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus. Experienced in presenting to small and large groups.
- Possesses strong problem-solving and analytical skills as well as excellent record keeping abilities.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Possesses detailed knowledge of OSHA, Cal-OSHA, Swift and Workers Compensation standards and regulations as it specifically relates to the construction industry.
- Experience in providing safety oversight on construction projects of varying sizes to include large, complex commercial sites preferred.
- High school diploma or its equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in safety management, occupational health or any other related field is preferred. Certification preferred: Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST). Certification required: OSHA 500.
- At least ten (10) years of direct safety experience required with three (3) years of experience supervising personnel.